The concept of feasting was pretty much invented in the Middle East by the courts of Shah Abbas and those opulent Ottoman dudes. If you combine this fact with the idea of meze – the relaxed sharing of multiple dishes, and also our speciality – celebrating your vegetarian Christmas with us is a bit of a no-brainer. Especially now we have a private dining room at your disposal…
As in previous years, the price for our festive menu is £30 a head, and includes Christmas fripperies, cheesy Christmas music, a complimentary glass of Persepolitan Pimped Prosecco on arrival and Mr. Shopkeeper’s best Santa impression. A £10 a head deposit will secure your reservation.
Vegans are very welcome, but please advise us in advance so that we can cater for you magnificently rather than adequately.
A typical menu will look something like the one below – but please note that Mrs. Shopkeeper is nothing if not spontaneous, and the menu sometimes changes hourly, let alone daily.
Cold Meze Starters
- Fresh herbs, spiced cheese, pickles and our house roasted nibbles
- Makhdoush – oil-preserved baby aubergines filled with walnuts
- Persepolis Ajvar – red peppers puréed with spices – and borani-ye-esfanaj, a dish of cooked spinach with yoghurt
- Festive salads
- All served with flat bread
Hot Meze Dishes
- Cheese (or spinach) sambosic
- Sprout Kookoo – a Persian frittata made with dukkah and brussels sprouts
- Halloumi pan fried with figs and nibbed nuts
- An assortment of falafel
Kufteh and Dolmeh
- Basically stuffed stuff. Vegan kufteh baked with barberries and nuts, OR a platter of badrijani (aubergine rolls) and stuffed tomatoes
- Chestnut tagine served with Marrakesh spiced couscous and Shirazi salsa
- Khoresht-e-Gheimeh – a lush almond and barberry hotpot
- Morasa Pulao – jewelled rice served with Persian-lime-infused stock
- Seasonal Fruits and Pastries
- or Cheese Meze
Mint tea or coffee
NB: We will happily consider other catering enquiries and private parties.